Tuesday, June 24, 2008

End User Technology



When I started this blog I had in mind to stay up date mainly as a developer or as a tech geek. However during this time I found out a couple of things – one is that many of the things that in the past required writing code are now part of ‘ready to use’ applications. And second that as an end-user I still have a gap to close.
The challenge that I faced in the last week was to publish some pictures/videos from my trip, which is a good excuse to share them – June ’08 Trip (apology for the non-Hebrew readers).



Ok, using Picasa is not such a thing, but downloading pictures from your camera, editing them, uploading them to a site, adding titles and putting the position on the map is not a trivial thing.
All of that caused me to realize a third thing (which is the opposite of the first two) – sometimes these so called simple applications are not so simple.

Another experienced I had that demonstrated that - I bought lately a new HD camcorder and did not understand why there is a ‘one click burn to disk’ button. Maybe it’s because I’m such a guy who always choose the advanced option when installing something or maybe because it’s not so simple to burn a disk. The task of taking a couple of videos I took, edit them a bit (just merging and removing 10 seconds at the end) and upload it YouTube required some good tech skills and a few programs. But this is another excuse to share my first YouTube video – alpine coaster (don’t miss the almost crash) – highly recommended!.




No comments: